Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The ONE, the ONLY, LIN!

Die Cut Divas' Sponsor for May, 2014
A Day for Daisies
Time for our guest spot for the month of May and it's none other than our friend, Lin Brandyberry who stars on our May blog.  Help me welcome Lin to the stage.

Tell us a little about yourself
            I've been married to my hubby Denny for 43 years this June!  We have 2 grown sons who live in Florida and Texas, and 3 adorable grands, 5, 3 and 1 1/2.  I have a degree in Mathematics, but was lucky to be a stay-at-home Mom.  Before discovering card making, I did lots of cross-stitch and then quilting.  I enjoy reading, the flowers in our gardens, and travelling whenever we can. I am a 10-year breast cancer survivor. 
It sounds like Lin has been a creative person from her list of hobbies. Whether we know it or not, math does have a lot to do with the creative process.  So glad you're sharing your life and creativity with us.  

How long have you been a card maker/scrapper & when did you start?
            I think I began stamping sometime in the early 2000s, but didn't take it seriously until 2005. I credit the Hero Arts blog for appearing just about the same time I started stamping – it was the perfect online school, and I learned so much there!
 I consider myself a card maker.  I've done a few scrapbook pages, but that process just hasn't clicked for me.

Do you follow sketches or dive right in?
            I'll follow a sketch if that's what a challenge needs me to do; otherwise, I dive in, choosing colors or papers or stamps and going from there.

How many projects do you make a week?
            I stamp just about every day, though I may not produce something finished each day.  In looking back through my blog, I'd estimate I have a post with a finished card about 3 - 5 times a week.
Sounds like Lin really loves the process, stamping, coloring.

What is your favourite tool (what can't you create without) & why?
            That’s got to be my trusty old Cuttlebug machine!  I use it on every project, I think!

This is one Die Cut Diva!   

What at the moment is your most favourite thing to do on your project?
            I just learned how to make shaker cards, and they are so much fun!  Also using embossing folders with ink as a kind of stencil has opened up all kinds of possibilities!

How would you describe your style?
            I think I'm evolving slowly into a more clean and layered card maker.  I adore looking at other cards that are vintage and packed with all kinds of embellishments, but I just can't seem to pull it off myself.  I really enjoy paper-piecing and using design papers.  And you'll usually find flowers or hearts on my cards, along with pearls or gems, or now sequins.
Lin is my Flower Diva too.

What about your style would you change (or not) & why?
            I need to slow myself down during the creative process.  I will finish a card, post it, and then see, in looking at the photo, that I could have changed something to make it better. 

Have you been published or on a Design team - when & where?
            I have been published during the last days of print magazines, in 2012 and 2013, in Paper Crafts, CARDS magazine, and CardMaker.  When everything went to digital, the fun went out of it for me, and I stopped submitting.  
I'm on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge design team at present - a real dream of a team!  Past design teams were Lily Pad Cards, The Craft's Meow, and a 6-month term at the Penny Black Stamp Squad.  And I consider my term as a Hero Arts Hostess as a kind of design team, too.  I was in the 2nd class, from July to October of 2009.
They know talent when they see it!

Describe your crafting area
            I'm lucky enough to have a whole room for my supplies.  Denny built me a work surface  under the window, and the computer lives in the former closet in that room.  I have lots of open shelving for my supplies, along with a couch and a TV in there (this room doubles as a guest room) and a little bathroom just across the hall for cleaning my stamps, etc. 
Ok, Am I the only one who noticed that the bathroom is for cleaning her stamps....

Do you have a blog? If not where can we see more of your fabulous creations?

            My blog is called Sending Hugs: http://heartshugsandflowers.blogspot.com/
Please pay a visit to Lin's blog.  You'll return time and time again.

Arlene and the Die Cut Divas

3 comments:

Cindy C. said...

Hehehe a bathroom to clean the stamps huh.. I must admit that's very important!! It's a delightful interview, so nice to get to know more about you Lin!!

Kathy (krolski) said...

Great interview! I have always been inspired by Lin and her beautiful cards!!

Barb Ghig said...

What a great interview! I've been a huge fan of Lin ever since I joined the Hero Arts Flickr Group! Her style is so fresh and I love her flowers...Always! Lin is also a very sweet person, and I'm so glad to know that she is a 10 year Breast Cancer Survivor...my hope and prayer is that she continues to be blessed with good health!

Thanks so much for the lovely interview and for sharing Lin's cards with us!